Monday, January 7, 2013

"Let It Snow Storytime"
Storytime today was all about snow.  Here are the resources I used:

Books:
Tracks in the Snow by Wong Herbert Yee
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

Tracks in the Snow was a new one for me this year.  The book itself is physically fairly small, but a rhythmic repeated phrase ("Tracks in the snow, tracks in the snow.  Who made the tracks?  Where do they go?") helped keep the kids' attention and they seemed to enjoy the twist at the book's end.  Snowballs and The Snowy Day are perennial favorites of mine and always seem to go over well with audiences.  I always enjoy asking the kids what they think happened to Peter's snowball--why is his pocket empty?

Songs:
I also used one of my favorite "Five Little..." songs, "Five Little Snowmen Fat," a song I first learned from Valerie and Emily at Valerie's Inner Child Fun blog.  Here is a link to their version and the felt playset Valerie created to go along with it:Inner Child Fun--5 Little Snowmen Fat

I made my own felt figures to use on that librarian staple, the flannelboard. I'll try to get a photo up later.

The text of the song is as follows:

"Five Little Snowmen Fat"
Five little snowmen fat,
Each with a funny hat--
Out came the sun and melted one,
What a sad day was that!

This repeats, each time counting down another number until no snowmen are left.  I found a concluding verse on another website (sorry, I've forgotten which one) that left the ending a bit more hopeful:

"No little snowmen fat,
Only their funny hats.
But when it snows, I'll make more of those,
Oh, what fun is that!"

Puppets:
I always have at least one puppet friend who comes out at the beginning of storytime.  Often it is Simon, my faithful Folkmanis snail puppet, but this time I used Kiki, the koala, who demonstrated the kinds of clothes one needs to wear when playing in the snow.  My daughter has a lot of American Girl doll clothes and accessories which are often the right size for puppet props and I have a stash of other such props as well--pet "accessories" (reindeer antlers with elastic, for example) also work well for most of my puppets.  The kids seem to enjoy seeing the puppets each week and talking about them and they especially love when the puppets do anything silly, which they often do.

Crafts:
Before I tell you about our storytime crafts, you should know that I am a crazy person when it comes to crafting at storytime.  I almost always have three options for the kids, because I love crafts so much.  It's often a lot of work, but I have gotten so much positive feedback from parents and kids about the crafts and I love planning them so much myself that I've continued to do it this way.

So, for today's crafts, we had white stamp pads, pastel copy paper, and snowflake rubber stamps which I have collected over the years as well as some plastic spools, which leave a snowflake-like print when stamped onto paper; a snowman craft in which children glued three round cotton cosmetic pads onto a large blue paper plate--they added details with beads, buttons, markers, toothpicks, and some snowflake confetti that I always try to pick up at a discount after Christmas--the snowmen also got a scarf (piece of plaid ribbon) and a top hat, which was clip art I copied and the kids cut out (they love to cut with scissors); the last thing was something called "Snow Dough" which consists of one can of shaving cream plus one box of cornstarch and some "fake snow" glitter.  This was really neat stuff, although the fake snow felt a little irritating--the dough would be much smoother feeling without it and more snowlike.  Once it's well mixed (and that part is totally messy, so be prepared--I did it at home ahead of time, then put the dough in a Ziploc bag), you can actually mold it into realistic looking snowballs and although it got kind of crumbly and powdery after awhile, it didn't leave much mess on the children's hands.  I also squirted some shaving cream out on the table for the kids to "fingerpaint" and play with--we used to do this a lot when I taught in a K-1 class and the kids always enjoyed it.

This was a long post but I hope you find it useful.  I hope to have photos in the posts to come but first I need to get access to a working camera!


No comments:

Post a Comment